Optic Fibre Teeth?

separator
V



Optic Fibre Teeth?



Separator

After a long wait the servos had finally arrived. This allowed us to begin the final phase of building the tail. Before we could attach the servos directly to the tail It was important that we clearly assessed the steps that we needed to take to achieve the most efficient and functional design. The first step was to figure out how to lift the horizontal servo with the vertical servo. Initially we thought that it was possible to just glue this on, but with testing it seemed that it was not possible.

The problem was the join to the horizontal servo was too weak. To overcome this problem the team decided to fashion a holder made of light metal. The holder housed the horizontal servo but also connected the vertical servo through a hole drilled in the side. To reinforce this a plastic component was placed on the inside of the holder and a screw was threaded through to the servo. Glue was then used to hold this in place. To test its functionality we ran some code and found the servo was easily strong enough to lift the tail.

  • 23rd October 2014
  • Phase 3 - Week 8
  • Team Discovery Channel
single project Info
single project Info

However, we found that UNO might require more power than we had realised as the servos required more power than expected to operate. We had observed other teams using PSU’s for computers and found that it was too bulky.

Research was done into wall adapters and it was concluded that a multi voltage wall adapter would allow us to pick the right voltage. By modifying the power packs we were able to power the servos. However, we found out later that the 31KG servos didn’t require extra power to lift, but the option of having a power supply will give us greater options in the future.

single project Info


During our brainstorming before the servos arrived Rohann came up with a brilliant idea of adding more emotions to UNO. More specifically by adding a mouth to UNO. Initially the proposed idea incorporated a mini project to display a mouth which could change. The cost of the projector stopped this particular implementation, but through some quick thinking and research it was discovered that fibre optics from a lamp could be fashioned in a way to resemble a mouth. To allow the fibre optics to maintain their shape a mouth guard was printed out to sit inside the front of the head. The fibres would then be placed in their respective slots and tied up. To light the fibre a LED controller was made from scratch by Giulio to produce the right colour and amount. Upon testing we found that the light wasn’t bright enough to penetrate through two layers of ABS. To fix this it was decided that the front of the mouth guard would be sanded down to be very thin which would allow more light to pass through.